Peach Crown and Cherry Sundrop Cocktail

It has certainly been a while since my last post regarding the loss of Andy. Three months has already passed and I still can't believe he is gone. My friend Julie and her fiance had been invited to spend time with us at the river and for whatever reason, we couldn't make everything fall into place. Then both of us found ourselves with the loss of our significant others.

Julie took me out for dinner to catch up and my 60th birthday. It was definitely not a celebration, but a much needed evening to talk with a friend. We decided during that visit to do what we had not done previously...head to the river. I was dreading going to the place so full of memories from the past twenty years. 

I grilled steaks and all the sides and Julie whipped up this cocktail. Between tears, laughter, visits with my river neighbors who dropped by, and sharing our favorite memories of our loved ones, it was what I needed. It also made me realize what Andy and I spent twenty years to build will never be the same without him. Everywhere I looked, memories of cold weekends building steps, decks, docks, and rock walls; hauling countless bags of concrete, lumber; pressure washing and staining all that wood; so we could all have fun when warm weather rolled around hit me hard. Technically it was work, but because we loved being together it never felt that way (with the exception of him asking me to raise the frame of a dock walkway a few more inches--an impossible feat and another story for another day). Sitting on the back porch watching the wildlife and enjoying the sunsets...drove home the tremendous loss of something I will never experience again with him. Hug your loved ones a little tighter every day; don't forget tell them how much you love them and what they mean to you. Andy and I did this every day and it is what has helped me start to accept the loss. I never doubted how much he loved me.

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz. Peach Crown Royal
Sun-drop (I prefer Diet Sun-drop)
Maraschino juice and cherries 
Shot of water
 
DIRECTIONS:

In a 12 oz. glass, fill with ice. Add Peach Crown Royal and top with Sun-drop. Julie added a shot of water to each of our drinks. She swears by this. Add a tablespoon of cherry juice (more or less) and drop in a couple of cherries. Give a quick stir and enjoy!
 

Comments

Popular Posts