Lynnette's Bolognese Sauce

What to do when you have a few left over carrots and celery in the fridge? Finely dice them along with some sweet onion and a few other ingredients and get ready to dig in. A bowl of pasta covered in this hearty bolognese sauce will be one recipe you'll keep and refer to frequently.
 
One day at work, I was telling Lynnette how much I loved Chef Smiley's International Day at the Blue Bird Cafe and especially when he served bolognese. I would sit at the table alone and zone everyone out as I savored the flavor. The restaurant has since closed so I was grateful when Lynnette shared her recipe with me. I have fixed it a few times and you will catch me at the counter going on (to myself usually) about how dang good it is. I get a craving for it and usually freeze some to enjoy at another time. On a separate note, I have read other recipes online and they call for milk to be added. Mine is without and it tastes fine. 
 
The amount of chopping involved is well worth the time spent. Try to get the trinity as close as possible in size. Sharpening your knife before you start makes the job so much easier.
 
INGREDIENTS: 
Approximate measurement of 1 to 1-1/2 cups each of finely diced carrot, celery and sweet onion. 
*I used two stalks of celery, two carrots and half a large Vidalia onion 
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
Chopped mushrooms
Olive oil
1 lb. pack ground Italian sausage
1 jar spaghetti sauce (homemade if you have it)
1 cup (or more) black or green olives (I use the olives from a jar of Italian Antipasto Olives) 
Italian Seasoning to taste (start with 1 Tbsp.)
Crushed red pepper to taste (start with 1/4 tsp.) 
 
Your choice of pasta cooked per box directions 

Lightly coat large, deep skillet with olive oil and saute celery, carrots and onions until softened.
Stir in chopped fresh mushrooms and garlic. Add ground Italian sausage and cook until sausage is browned. If you opt for canned mushrooms, add them after the sausage is cooked.
Stir in sliced olives and seasonings.
Let sauce simmer and taste to see if additional seasoning is required. Lynnette reminded me that the olives are salty so you don't want to add salt unless you really want to.
Add the bolognese sauce to your favorite pasta and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts