Sauteed Zucchini and Onions

Sauteed zucchini and onions is a side dish I threw together the other night when Momma was visiting. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the final product. We started eating this and it was so good, the whole skillet was emptied in no time. What I can't show you is the beautiful caramelization of the onions and zucchini. 

Momma called the other night and mentioned she wanted open faced turkey sandwiches. I naturally thought we'd be having mashed potatoes and green beans, which I had already started. When she walked in the door, she brought the items to make a salad, and three medium sized pieces of zucchini she wanted me to fix. I  had not fixed the mashed potatoes yet and a wild card like my Momma threw this "to the T Virgo" personality in a tizz for a few minutes. Once I resigned myself to the fact we would be eating three green vegetables: green beans, salad and zucchini, I calmed down. After-all, Momma wanted Mahatma's Yellow Rice so we did have a little color there. I started fixing the salad and thought about what I had in the kitchen.


Here is what I came up with and my husband let me know real fast we would be fixing this again when we had fresh zucchini coming in the garden in a few months.


Slice zucchini into 1/4" pieces.
Slice large, sweet onion into half rings and break apart.
Melt 1/2 stick unsalted butter in a skillet on medium-high.
Put onions in first. When you turn them for the first time, add the zucchini.
Add salt and pepper to suit your taste.
Stir constantly at first and once the onions become tender, turn the heat up a little more so that they start to caramelize. Let them sit on one side and flip until they look good. 


You will need to stand there the whole time you are doing this. There is a fine line with the temperature to keep the butter from burning and ruining your veggies by overcooking. The overall texture turned out great. The onions were soft and the zucchini were a little firm and weren't overcooked to mush.

Comments

Popular Posts