Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies


One of my favorite cookies to imbibe in at this time of the year are shortbread cookies. They're not overly sweet. Don't get me wrong, I do like a sweet treat like my chocolate oatmeal cookies, but if something's too rich...I just can't eat as much. :-) A few weeks ago we had to do a presentation for a local group. The lady who arranged the event included us in their lunch. The food was awesome, but the dessert she prepared was insanely good...simple thumbprint cookies.

Carla was kind enough to share her recipe with me and I couldn't wait to fix these wonderful treats. Julie, Chelsea and myself decided to fix our bosses each a tray of goodies for Christmas and these cookies were first on my list of things to include. I did not change one single thing from the way she fixes them. They are perfection as is. Another great thing is that I keep all of the ingredients on hand. Mmmm, I could  have been fixing these all along!

INGREDIENTS:
2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raspberry jam (I use Smuckers seedless Raspberry) 

GLAZE:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
This recipe makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies  

DIRECTIONS:
Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Reduce speed to low; add flour. Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Heat oven to 350°F.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (I used a wooden spoon end. If you "wallow" it around a little, it makes the perfect pocket for the jam!) (Edges may crack slightly). 
Fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.

Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. I filled a sandwich ziplock bag with the glaze and barely nipped the end to drizzle the glaze. Once the glaze is set, place in an airtight container. **They won't last long!

Comments

Popular Posts