Authentic Red Beans and Rice

Last month Andy and I celebrated the big 7 Year Anniversary in New Orleans. Be sure to read my Rambling about our trip in my previous post. I knew we would have an amazing experience based on the incredible foods alone. Part of the trip included a morning at the New Orleans School of Cooking. How I managed to miss that opportunity on previous trips is beyond me. I can't wait to go back for a different learning experience. Our demonstration included gumbo, red beans and rice, cornbread and pralines. I have since fixed all the dishes, including modifying my cornbread recipe and let me tell you, they turned out just as fine as what we ate there! The Joe's Stuff seasoning blend can be ordered on their website. Go ahead and get the biggest container you can buy. You'll put it on everything!!! I made it based on the recipe they gave us and noted my modifications below.

INGREDIENTS:
1 large onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
3 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. Joe's Stuff seasoning blend
6 cups cooked rice
1 lb. red kidney beans (I used small red beans as that is all we could find)
3 quarts stock (I mixed up chicken stock with Better Than Bouillon base)
1/2 lb. smoked sausage sliced thin or ham chunks (I used 1 lb. smoked sausage and a ham hock)
1 bay leaf
Parsley to taste*
Green onion (garnish)*
Crab boil to taste

*Omitted when I prepared
Be sure to sort through your beans! You don't want to bite into a stone. Soak the beans in a covered pot overnight. In the morning, drain the water off the beans. Pour the chicken stock over the beans and start cooking on low. 
  
 Lightly coat a skillet and saute the onions and celery.

 Add the sausage and continue cooking for about ten minutes.
 Add ham hock to the beans and stock.
 Stir in the celery, onions and smoked sausage and bring to a boil.
 
 Stir in the garlic, bay leaf and Joe's Stuff seasoning. Bring to a boil.

 Reduce to a simmer for three hours.
 Stir and cook additionally until "bean juice" is creamy. When you stir, be sure to return the flavor bits off the bottom and sides.  Add crab boil to suit your personal taste. Serve over the cooked rice.
 
Got this in the mail the day after I posted!

Comments

Popular Posts